Saturday, August 1, 2026

Lentil Rice Waffles using WM9 Salton Waffle Maker

 Makes about 7-8 waffles from about 2 cups of batter. Cook 6 minutes.

Soak overnight in hot water about 1/2" above rice and lentils. Add more if needed.

  • 1/2 c rice
  • 1/2 c lentils
Next morning or so add
  • about 1 T whey and/or
  • couple pinches of yeast (I only add if whey doesn't make bubbles
I usually just add whey unless bubbles aren't forming fast enough. Then I just add a 2-3 pinches of yeast.

Let sit until bubbles form, anywhere from an hour or overnight. The longer it sits, the more it ferments and adds lightness to the waffles. It gets more sour the longer it sits. So it's a balancing act between enough bubbles and a lighter taste.

Then mix in
  • about 1/2- 1 t salt
Reserve some liquid if necessary. Grind finely in immersion blender. (Probably can use any blender. I used to use a Ninja blender.) Add back enough liquid so the consistency of the batter is that of thinner pancake batter but not as thin as that for crepes.

Lightly oil and preheat waffle maker until light turns off. 

Pour batter into waffle squares using glass measuring cup or pourable cup making sure none of the waffle maker is showing through. It takes about 1/4 c of batter for each square and ends up being a little over 1 cup for 4 squares of waffles.

Close waffle maker and let everything bake 6 minutes. 5 minutes is very light colored. 7 minutes might work too. (Need to bake so middle gets cooked. If middle is not cooked, waffles splits in half with 1/2 on top and 1/2 on bottom.)

Then remove with heat resistant silicone scraper, flipper, whatever you have that is not metal so you don't wreck the nonstick finish on the waffle maker. Can eat right away or let cool on rack or paper towels in order to freeze for future use. I think toaster heats up better than microwave if you like a crisper texture.

I like them plain but you can put anything on them from nut butter to jam to syrup, etc. 

No comments: